11 January 2013

Clay soap dish

 
 
One of my new challenge for this year is to make a soap dish by myself. Ceramic was a good option but I couldn't cook it properly, I needed a kiln for that. Anyway, I finally used some air dry clay





So first step, I had to prepare my square. They have to be thick enough for a strong base but not much for a folding
 
I wanted to give them a natural wood effect. I did it with a thin blade. The problem was the time it took to realise it. It was too long to do that on each square and I didn't have any stamp, so I gave up the idea
 
 
 
 
Then, I did 5 holes in the middle of the square for the drainage and I cut 4 wood sticks with the same length for the support. The 4 balls are going to serve me as a support for the base
 
 
 

 
After putting all the pieces together, that's the result...
 
 
 
 
I don't have any pictures for the follow steps but there were very easy to describe. The soap dish had to dry for at least 5 days. For helping the process, I put them on the heating and after only 3 days, they were completely dry. Then, I soaked them into a special product to waterproof them. I did it twice for a real waterproof qualities. You normally can paint them before they are varnished but for a first attempt, I finally decided to let them with their rustic look. But I have a loot of ideas for the next one :) Shape, colour, effect, you can do a looot of things with clay


And that's it, it's easy as that!! I tried them in 2 different places, in a shower and along a bath. And I can assure you they are completely waterproof. I have no idea about the lifespan but for the moment it keep perfectly in my shower



 


Inspiration: I found this model on Pinterest






 

7 comments:

  1. C'est très original, tu es vraiment douée de tes mains et tu as de l'imagination !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Jazz!!! Je tiens juste à préciser que je n'ai pas inventé ce modèle, je l'ai trouvé sur Pinterest et je l'ai reproduit tout simplement :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. coucou, comme je ne comprends pas l'anglais je ne sais pas ce que sais que cet objet que tu as créer ^^sa m'intrigue ! est ce un moule a savon ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. non Cricri, lol! tu n'es pas loin, c'est bien en rapport avec le savon :p c'est un porte savon en argile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have.
    best soap dish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you share what product you soaked them in to make them waterproof?

    ReplyDelete