25 September 2012

Oat bran powder into a soap



My little brother recently asked me a soap with cinnamon essential oil, it's his favourite smell.
Well, cinnamon directly remember me cake, so let's go for a soap with a cake scent... miam miam



Identity

Saponified oils: Olive, coco, rapeseed oil, castor oil
Superfats: Cocoa butter  ( 7%)
Essential oils: Cinnamon, Ylang-ylang, Geranium (3%)
At trace:  Oat bran of the total oil (4%)
Colour: Natural yellow colour (rapeseed oil and cinnamon EO have a deep yellow colour)


First, I cut some pieces of soap, then I coated them with cacao powder




I wanted to put some oat bran in the soap, for the cake side of course but most for the properties of oat bran on skin. So I decided to go for oat bran fine powder.


I sifted the oat bran for having the finest powder at the end.

Most of soapmakers use oat milk at trace or to replace distilled water. And I'm convinced as well it gives good properties to the soap but for this time, I really wanted to see how the powder is gonna blend with the soap and if the properties of oat bran as a powder are the same as milk.




Results 


L
o
v
e

T
h
e

N
a
t
u
r
a
l

Y
e
l
l
o
w

C
o
l
o
r



For the oat, as you can see in this picture, it doesn't blend perfectly as cacao powder for example. There still are some big pieces of bran into the soap and therefor, it gives it an exfoliating effect. But it's soft for skin so, for an exfoliate, it's a good one. 

If you compare the oat bran powder with the milk, I do prefer the oat milk. You definitely have the advantages of the bran if you make soap with it. The raw powder into soap doesn't really give the them properties in my opinion. 
Oat is rich in vitamin B, E and flavonoid. Vitamin B and flavonoid are water-soluble whereas vitamin E is liposoluble. Therefor, the properties of oat can be extracted on 2 way. After to be ground, the dry seeds can be soaked into oil for a macerate for 4 weeks or oat can be extracted by a decoction. A tincture of the raw plant is a possibility as well and is as efficient as the milk or the macerate.

Oat have many properties such as:
  • cleans, softens and nourishes the skin
  • soothes irritated skin 
  • it can be used as a bath enricher
  • good for eczema, psoriasis, skin allergy

By the way, one things which I'm sure about now, I don't like inclusion into soap. When you use it after few times, the soap fall apart in your hand and you have finally a lot of soap pieces in your soap dish, I hate this. I've heard you have some hocus pocus to solve or reduce this problem but even this, I prefer to stop doing inclusion in my soap for a daily use. But because is so beautiful in it, I can still play with them for a challenge or only for a visual effect. 

About the scent, it's smelt like an almond cake, it's gorgeous. I loooovvve it!!! 

The lather is fluffy, creamy and the soap is very soft for the skin ( it was my first soap with 63% of olive, I think that's the reason).

Hope my brother gonna love it, I do :)




3 comments:

  1. Ton savon a un très joli rendu visuel, il est gourmand et la recette doit être très douce.
    Et l'odeur ! J'essaierais bien ta synergie d'huiles essentielles ... un cake aux amandes, miam !
    C'est sûr que ton frère va l'aimer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Jazz!! Le savon est effectivement trés doux, pour ma part, c'est une recette qui me convient bien. Avec du lait d'avoine, il serait surement encore meilleur, prochain essai :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete